Home Running Week in Review 1.20 – 1.26: Week 1 as a full time working/running mom

Week in Review 1.20 – 1.26: Week 1 as a full time working/running mom


I live for snuggle time. 🙂

It’s Sunday evening at 9 pm. My eyes are droopy. My feet are throbbing. I am one spent mother runner.

Today marked the end of a 50 mile week of running  as well as my first week as a full time employee at the running store. Right now I am physically traumatized from the day. Like many other weekend warriors, I started off this morning with a 15 mile run in the COLD windy weather with a “feels like” of -2 (ouch). However, unlike past Sunday long-rundays today I was not able to properly rest and recover. Today I finished my run at 10 AM (on the dot!), and by 10:35 was showered, somewhat refueled, dressed and off to work a 7 hour shift at the running store. When I returned home around 6:35 pm Lillian excitedly shrieked “Mommy running” from the living room and immediately came to greet me; she took my hand in hers and tugged me off in the direction of the basement where we spent over an hour ” hunting dinosaurs”, coloring, and playing with play-dough.

Today was painfully awesome. I ran. I talked about running (and sold TONS of shoes! wahoo!). I spent some quality time with my daughter.

…but I am spent- physically and emotionally.

Can I keep this up? I honestly don’t know. How to other mother runners do it!? (If you are a mother runner and full timer PLEASE tell me your secrets!)

This week brought forth some serious challenges in training: the extremely cold weather, working full time at the running store (on my feet a lot), tough speed workouts on Tuesday and Thursday and the emotional complexity of dropping Lillian off at daycare for the first time (lots of tears, mine- not hers- of course).

If I want to be a successful full time working mother then I need to make some serious changes in my life. The first thing on my agenda is to become more organized! I used to be a “to-do” list type of girl who had a rainbow of highlighters in her purse, but then I had a baby. Babies and to-do lists don’t go well together. But now I have a toddler and a job and I need to get things done! I can’t always go to the grocery store tomorrow- I now need to plan. I need to dig deep and resurrect that to-do list writer and put her to work! This week was all about getting organized, planning ahead (mostly planning out meals), and doing my best to complete the workouts on the training plan given the ridiculously cold temperatures.

Here’s the shakedown from the week:


Monday– Lift (worked 10 am- 9 pm)
Tuesday– 11.5 total miles; 8 miles of speedwork

speed workout

8 miles of speed work on the dreadmill. Ouch.

Workout: 4 x 2 mile on the treadmill.
Goal: 1 mile warm up, 2 mi @ 6:50 pace, 5 minute recovery jog. Repeat 3 more times.
Result:  2 mi repeats sets 1-4: 7:20, 6:50, 6:53, 7:00

Wednesday– 4 miles @ 9:45 pace (Recovery run), 25 minutes of core exercises (Worked 12-4)
Thursday- 7 miles total speedwork

Workout: 15 x 1 minute speed bursts with 1 minute recovery on hilly terrain
Result: 1.5 mi warm up, 8 one minute sets at 6:31 pace at a 2.0 incline, 7 one minute sets at 6:35 pace at 2.5 incline, 1.5 mi c/d
Lilly and I baked these Oatmeal blueberry applesauce muffins on Thursday afternoon. Recipe to follow!


Oatmeal blueberry applesauce muffins. So good that I might need to share this recipe!

Friday – 7 miles @ 7:56 pace in the polar vortex! (COLDEST RUN TO DATE!!- a feels like of -11) , 30 min upper- body lift
(Worked 12-9 pm)

On Thursday night I planned out my meals for  all day Friday. I ate a homemade oat bar with dried cherries for breakfast, turkey, spinach and avocado sandwich for lunch, lentils for dinner and lots of fruits and veggies in-between. I’m not a perfect eater, but I’m trying!!


Truth be told I also ate one of the blueberry muffins I made on Thursday! Yum!

Saturday – 5.5 mi @ 7:47 pace
Sunday – 15 mi @  7:57 pace (Worked 11 am-6pm)

This run was WICKED cold. I woke up, saw the “feels like” of -2 and weighed my options: 15 miles on a road to nowhere at the warm gym or restarting my clock on the bitterly cold open road. I chose the lesser of two evils (for me): the open road. This run was mentally tough and not my best pace wise, but I made it out there and got it done. Today represented the epitome of winter training: the day where you get out there because you have to look at the bigger picture (race day) and do your best.

Splits were as follows
Miles 1-5: 8:40, 8:04, 8:02, 8:34, 7:53
Miles 5-10: 8:14, 8:07, 8:01, 7:42, 8:17

Miles 11-15: 7:36, 7:40, 7:28, 7:37, 7:29

Total miles: 50


gatorade tongue

Sporting “gatorade tongue” after Tuesday’s treadmill speed workout.

Hope everyone had an awesome week of training!!

Never Stop Running,

The Lone Runner

One Response

  1. sarah

    Good for you! I think the key is to be patient with yourself. Be flexible and fall in love with your crock pot 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *